Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Aussie Revisited

Ah, Australia...
The only country where you can win a boobjob as a prize.

They are always known for their rugged-ness and open-ness to the public, where you are "kind-of" allowed to swear on tv too. My two years of study there seems like a blur now although it has only been 4+ months since I've came back to negara-Malaysia-yang-ku-sayangi.

Since I was young, I've always thought myself to fit in very nicely in an ang-mo country, since I'm a self-proclaimed banana. I remembered last time in Primary 1 or 2, for God knows why, I used to tell people that I'm English, even though I had black hair and bermata sepet. Actually the only thing banana about me is that I do not speak Chinese very well, cos' everything else about me is 155% Malaysian-Chinese. I have traditional Chinese values inside of me (I think), nothing beats Chinese food in a long run and I love Chinese New Year! Okay, that doesn't sound very convincing. But, the point being, while I was there for 2 years, I'd enjoy the different culture and seeing different things and places, but no, my roots is where I want be, to grow up in, to get married, to raise kids, and to die here. I complain about Malaysia from time to time, so does everyone, but I love it. Some people might argue that 2 years isn't enough to get the Aussie-fied feeling, but it's sure enough for me! I'm glad to be back =O)

I said nothing beats Chinese food in a long run because in short term, there's bound to have a craving for something else like Italian, Malay, American (by American I mean McDonalds :P), Mediterranean, Japanese and what not, but in a long run, if I were to be stuck on a desert island and I could only bring one chef with me, it's gotta be that guy from "if Yan can cook, so can you" show.


During uni-breaks Tania and I would go see different parts of Western Australia, because it would be dead boring if you'd just stay Perth the whole entire time. During the road trips, you'd just see patches of greens with farm animals like cows, goats and sheeps to name the usual. They are those types of cows that you'd see on milk cartons and soft toys I guess. When ever we go on the trips, they are always low-budget and we would try to save as much as possible. Like stopping by cheese and chocolate factories where they would have free tastings. I would try to take as much as I can home in a bag. See? 155% Malaysian-Chinese!









Me greedily tasting the yucky paste chilli sour thingy they had at the choc factory.













Tania sitting at one of the wineries that we've went to. They are all bald and grape-less cos' it's during winter and there are no grapes to harvest at this time.








===------------------------------------------------------==

Our trip to Melbourne was pretty fun. The main reason why we decided to go there in the first place was because of the very cheap plane ticket thanks to Soon Fatt. It was AUD 9.90 per person to Melbourne, tax inclusive. We went around the city together with the Great Ocean tour, where we get to see the sea-lines and the 12 Apostles which are just giant pieces of rock-blades.


The flies in Melbourne are horrible. Here, there are 15 flies on my back just 10 seconds after shoo-ing them away. They would fly back again to your back with confidence that they won't get swatted. Man it looks gross here. For the record, it is not because my back or jacket stink, the flies stick on anyone they can find. =__=


I got to meet one of my close primary school friend, Zunliang too while I was in Melbourne! Wow..I'm a nerd o_o...


The trio in the trip to Melbourne with Shin Woei joining us too! It was during one of the stops we had while joining the Great Ocean Tour.
===------------------------------------------------------===

Gelare Ice-cream and Waffles was the place where I got my pocket money from. Lol. It was my part-time place and working there was awesome. Except for half price waffle Tuesdays which were... not so awesome. Tuesdays are always hectic and busy, because Australians sure love their ice cream and waffles!

<--- It's me together with my boss Rachma. Her favourite words are "Be good okay?", "Remember to put on your hat" and "Alvin go make waffle batter".

I had my own taste of Australian customers and how they are can be so different. Some are VERY nice, and are just total douchebags. Here's one of the many conversations I had with douchebags...

Douchebag lady : Can I have~ A Mug-uccino? (There's nothing like that in our menu)
Me : Erm..sorry?
Douchebag lady : A Mug-uccino
Me : You mean a Cuppuccino?
Douchebag lady : NO. A Mug-uccino. It's a Cuppucino in a mug instead of a cup!
Ever heard of it?~
Me: : Oh. A large Cuppucinno. =_=
Douchebag lady : Yes. Thats what I said. A Mug-uccino.

With her furious eyes and angry face, it's as if it's such a common thing a large Cuppucinno is called a Mug-ucinno. I should have served her "Mug-acinno" in a bowl instead so I can say "Here's your Bowl-ucinno lady". I've been called a doofus, a f*cker, being shouted at a few times (both kids and parents alike) and more. But it was all in good fun. I had people praise me on my cup of coffee and waffle making too. There's nothing more pleasant than someone complimenting on something that you make during a hectic day's job! Do visit the shop if you're ever in Perth! It's at Westfield Carousel beside Hoyts. You can't miss it! Now Rachma owes me something for the free advertising.

===------------------------------------------------------===





No matter what, my stay in Australia was great, due to the fact that Tania was there to experience new things, food and places with me. I cannot wish for a better person to be with than her in the place of the unknown. =)









===------------------------------------------------------===

After all of that said and done, Malaysia is still where I call home. I feel more relaxed in the same time could claim myself to be part of a country that I was born and raised in rather than a country that I do not belong to. Sometimes life can be tough and be full of challenges, but when there are family and friends out there to support you every step of the way, life is always worthwhile!

G'day Mate! See you later lah!

3 comments:

Derik said...

Ah 12 apostle and flies... i remember those well.

Debra Jill said...

IT sooo funny la alviN!!! the way you tell the story! and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~ it is so sweet tat you tat about Tania~~~~ So SWEET!!! keep on wrITING~ You Blog is FuN to read!

Alvin said...

Derik: yeah..the lalats are horrible.. if u stand there for 10 minutes without shooing them away i think u become a lalat-hive already. Lalats no hive right o_o

Deb: HAHA. thanx for reading! I read urs too..and Mita is also cute! ^^

Post a Comment